The project will be implemented in public-owned forest areas managed by either:
• Italian National Forest Service (CFS – Corpo Forestale dello Stato)
• local offices for Biodiversity (UTB), under coordination of the Office for Biodiversity of CFS (CFS-UB)
Many of the selected forest types are within priority habitats of European Union, the main of which are listed below:
• 9110 Luzulo-Fagetum beech forests
• 9130 Asperulo-Fagetum beech forests
• 9210 Apennine beech forests with Taxus and Ilex
• 9220 Apennine beech forests with Abies alba (and beech forests with Abies nebrodensis)
• 9410 Acidophilous Picea forests of the montane to alpine levels (Vaccinio-picetea)
• 9510 Southern Apennine Abies alba
In many of the areas, forests are within or include Natura 2000 sites.
Other ecosystem types have been selected according to their relevance to local/regional management issues (e.g. Turkey oak (Quercus cerris) in Central Italy). In all the areas, forest management with different purposes occurred in the past and it is possible to design and implement management operations. All selected forests are located in mountain areas, where the economic and social role of forestry is generally more relevant than in other conditions.
Download Italian sites fact sheet